Recipe by Chef BeeGee
I couldn't seem to find my tried and true hashbrown recipe on here, so I thought I would add it. There's a touch of garlic and spice, and the potatoes come up savory and crispy, and the perfect accompaniment to a big breakfast.Comfort food at its best!
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Excellent! These are my hubby's favorite breakfast potato and he loved these. I only used about half the amount of oil and butter and they still turned out great. I used garlic powder and we salted them at the table.By tasting, I would never have guessed that there was an egg in these. The flavor and texture were perfect. Thanks for sharing this keeper recipe.
- 3 medium russet potatoes, shredded
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse shredded potatoes until water is clear; drain and squeeze dry.
- Place shreds in a bowl; mix in the onion, flour, garlic salt and cayenne pepper.
- In a separate bowl, beat one egg and stir into potato mixture until evenly distributed.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, along with 1 tablespoon butter.
- When oil is sizzling hot, place potatoes in the pan in a 1/2 inch thick layer, patting down with spatula. Cover the whole bottom of the pan, or make separate piles like pancakes.
- Cook until nicely browned on the bottom, approximately 5 minutes per side.
- Flip over and brown on the other side, adding the remaining oil and butter.
- If you are cooking them in one big piece, it can be cut into quarters for easier flipping.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. I just add pepper because the salt in the garlic salt is enough for me, but to each his own!