Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I learned this recipe in a sushi making workshop. Tastes delicious.
- 709.77 ml short-grain calrose rice
- 4 inch piece konbu
- 828.06 ml water
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml salt
- 66.55 ml japanese vinegar
- Wash and drain rice for 30 minutes.
- Place rice, water and Konnbu in Electric Rice cooker and cook.
- When cooking period is over, let it rest in the rice cooker for 5 minutes, without opening.
- While the rice is cooking, combine all your Shari ingredients and whisk till ALL the sugar has dissolved.
- Take rice, transfer to wooden hanigiri (or bowl, if you don't have one, but results will not be as satisfying) and sprinkle shari onto the rice.
- Using a rice paddle, mix and toss the sushi rice in a side way cutting motion. As you do this, get someone to use a hand fan and fan your rice. Keep on mixing for around 10 minutes. Cover the Hanigiri or your bowl with a damp cloth as you get your other ingredients for sushi ready.
I also divided the recipe by thirds to make one cup of rice. It turned out great with Green Jade Bamboo rice and Forbidden Black rice. Both are short grain varieties that make colorful and delicious sushi.
Pretty good balance of seasonings for us. I made 1 cup of rice just to make a couple of rolls and used 1/3rd of the shari ingredints too. On tasting, I gave the rice an additional few shakes of salt and a teaspoon or two more vinegar. I made this again and this time used 1 1/2 cups rice, 2 tablespoons sugar 3 tablespoons of vinegar and a teaspoon of salt. Perfect for us!