Recipe by tunasushi
I learned this recipe in a sushi making workshop. Tastes delicious.
Top Review by Michelle Minicucci
I also divided the recipe by thirds to make one cup of rice. It turned out great with Green Jade Bamboo rice and Forbidden Black rice. Both are short grain varieties that make colorful and delicious sushi.
- 3 cups short-grain calrose rice
- 4 inches piece konbu
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons japanese vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and drain rice for 30 minutes.
- Place rice, water and Konnbu in Electric Rice cooker and cook.
- When cooking period is over, let it rest in the rice cooker for 5 minutes, without opening.
- While the rice is cooking, combine all your Shari ingredients and whisk till ALL the sugar has dissolved.
- Take rice, transfer to wooden hanigiri (or bowl, if you don't have one, but results will not be as satisfying) and sprinkle shari onto the rice.
- Using a rice paddle, mix and toss the sushi rice in a side way cutting motion. As you do this, get someone to use a hand fan and fan your rice. Keep on mixing for around 10 minutes. Cover the Hanigiri or your bowl with a damp cloth as you get your other ingredients for sushi ready.