Recipe by Pinaygourmet #345142
Make a big batch during the weekend then refrigerate and reheat whenever you feel like it. Great for busy days.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup coarse fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 250 g lean ground beef
- 250 g ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine or 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 796 ml diced canned tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spaghetti
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat; fry onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden. Scrape into bowl.
- In large bowl, whisk together egg, ricotta cheese, fennel seeds, salt and pepper to taste, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Stir in bread crumbs, parsley, Romano or Parmesan cheese and half of the onion mixture. Add beef and pork; combine well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Wet hands if necessary. Form meat mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls into balls. Add reamaining oil to pan. Brown meatballs over medium-high heat, in 2 batches; with slotted spoon, transfer to plate. Pour off fat.
- Add wine to pan; bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up brown bits. Transfer to Dutch oven. Stir in remaining onion mixture,diced and crushed tomatoes, half of the basil, the sugar and remaining salt. Add meatballs. Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally.