Recipe by GypsyGirl2005
Hold on to your arteries, this is not for the faint of heart, but this is the best onion dip you will ever taste.
- 2 large vidalia onions or 2 large other sweet onions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Cut onions in half, peel and thinly slice. Cut slices in half or thirds.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet (12-inch or 5-1/2 quart sauté) using medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, pepper and sugar. Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, until the onions are browned and caramelized. Let cool.
- 3. Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the work bowl of a stand mixer. Process until smooth.
- Add the onions and blend. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Serve with chips or fresh vegetable crudité dippers.