Recipe by Nikki Kate
Nice, big, soft and tender biscuits. Can be used for biscuits and gravy, Chicken and biscuit or just jelly or butter.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, salt and baking soda.
- Using pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Making a well in the center of dry mixture. Add buttermilk all at once to dry mixture.
- Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough by folding and gently pressing 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth.
- Pat or lightly roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut dough with a floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, dipping the cutter into flour between cuts.
- Place biscuits 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 450°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.