1/1 Photo of Best Chicken Tagine
1 hr 10 mins
amanda l b's Note:
This was inspired by a fantatstic chicken tagine from Melbourne's Meccah Bah. It has a lovely balance of spice and sweetness. I've customised it from other tagine receipes I've found - and I think this produces the best result. Modest .. maybe.. try for yourself!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped gingerroot
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups water or 2 cups chicken stock
- 300 g chickpeas (or fresh)
- 425 g diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon coriander root (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 skinless chicken thighs or 6 -8 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (to garnish)
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 teaspoons chicken stock powder
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds
- 1Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- 2Brown chicken and remove.
- 3Add onion, garlic, and ginger to the pot. Cover and cook until onion is tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add paprika, turmeric, ground coriander, ground cumin, cayenne pepper and cinnamon and stir 1 minute to lightly 'toast' the spices.
- 5Stir in 2 cups water, chickpeas, tomatoes with juices, honey and coriander roots. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- 6Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; add to pot. Cover and simmer for about 50 minutes - or until the chicken is cooked and tender.
- 7Add more water to cover the chicken if liquid has evaporated.
- 8When the chicken is almost ready, begin to prepare the cous-cous as per packet instructions. Add the chicken stock powder to the cous cous. When the cous cous has absorbed the liquid, add the almonds and stir through.
- 9If using drumsticks, remove the drumsticks and strip the meat from the bones. Return the meat back to the mixture and mix through.
- 10Stir sesame seeds through.
- 11Serve on a bed of cous cous, garnished with coriander leaves.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Chicken Tagine
Serving Size: 1 (479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 583.3
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 57.2 mg
- Sodium 541.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 40.9 g
- Protein 25.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: