Moroccian Chicken Tagine
photo by sjkotylak
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄3 cup rough chopped preserved lemon
- 1⁄4 cup rough chopped green olives
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- Combine the saffron threads and water in a small bowl and allow to steep. In another small bowl, combine the kosher salt, black pepper, cumin and cardamom. Mix well, and season the chicken pieces on both sides with the spice blend.
- Set a tagine or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add half of the chicken pieces, skin side down, and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside while you cook the remaining chicken pieces. Remove and set aside.
- Add the cinnamon sticks and bay leaves to the tagine and cook, stirring, for 20 seconds. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly caramelized, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the stock, saffron, raisins, preserved lemons and olives to the pan and bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the pan, skin side down. Return the sauce to a boil, cover the tagine, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces to the other side and add the almonds. Continue to cook, covered, until the meat is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Garnish the chicken with the mint and serve over warm couscous in shallow bowls.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What can I say? I've been waiting for a full on tagine since the start of ZWT9. This was worth the wait. Excellent Moroccan flavors that keep on insisting that you just really need another bite. Really, it just doesn't care that you've already eaten you share even if the tummy is telling you to stop! It's that good with the great spicing and tender moist chicken. Slurp
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a native Californian, born in the Los Angeles area, college in far northern California and now living in southern part of the San Francisco Bay Area. I love kids and animals. I am an active volunteer at my two teenage daughters' high school as well as a Girl Scout leader. We have two guinea pigs, one Dalmatian, one cockatiel, and one quarter-horse to keep us busy. I had a career as a marketing writer before I became a full-time mom and volunteer, but I still write all the time as well as participate in a monthly book club. I stay active and have Jazzercized for over 25 years on a regular basis. I also am trying to do some yoga now and ride horses for fun. I have loved getting involved in the RecipeZaar games and learning how to post the photos. I am currently playing on the Zaar World Tour and it is lots of fun! Have been a sports fan since childhood and definitely have enjoyed getting to know about hockey since we have a very successful NHL franchise in our area: Go Sharks! <img src="http://static.flickr.com/1310/902139984_71e1ab56a5.jpg" width="399" height="270"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/final-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/bumbag5.gif?t=1211686551"> <img src="http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/zaargroupie.gif" width="300" height="220"> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/food%20and%20swaps/400035_d7f1b969-m3_1217872626.png" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/de.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/My-3-Chefs%20banners/my3chefs2008Small.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/123hitwonders.jpg" width="399" height="150"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/holiday-tag2-copy.gif" width="399" height="140"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"width="290" height="140"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/fg.jpg" border="0" alt="F and G Swap">