Chicken Tagine With Green Olives & Preserved Lemon
photo by Linky
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 8 skinless chicken thighs (large thighs are recommended)
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron, crushed
- 2 cups green olives (such as Greek Ionian or Nafplion)
- 1⁄2 preserved lemon, chopped (or lemon juice to taste)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- black pepper
- In a medium-sized tagine or Dutch oven, arrange chicken thighs in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the onion, cilantro, parsley, garlic, cumin, ginger, paprika, ½ teaspoon of the pepper, and saffron over the chicken.
- Add 2 cups of water and cover.
- If using a tagine, set it on a flame-tamer over medium heat.
- If using a Dutch oven, set it over medium-high heat (you will not need the flame-tamer).
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pit each olive by placing on a cutting board and smashing firmly with the flat side of a heavy knife. Discard pit.
- Add the olives, preserved lemon, and lemon juice to the tagine and cook 20 minutes more, until the chicken meat is falling off the bones.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!