Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
This cake is fabulous! You will love it. The cake is light, fresh and moist. The frosting is creamy and delightful. TIP: If you want a thick covering of frosting, double the frosting recipe.
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour, baking flour preferred
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups carrots, finely shredded, lightly packed
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped
Cream Cheess Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Grease and flour two 9 x 1.5 inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, carrots, vanilla and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans.
- Cool completely on racks.
- For the Frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well until you reach spreading consistency.
- You can toast the pecans as garnish. To toast pecans, spread pecans in a single layer in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Monitor closely and stirring once or twice.
- To assemble, you can create a flat, layered cake by cuting off the rounded top portion of each 9 inch cake.
- Frost the top of one cake and stack the second cake on top.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Press toasted pecans into sides of the cake.
- Cover and store frosted cake in the refrigerator until serving time.