Recipe by Chef Buggsy Mate
When I was a kid my dad came home form work one day and told my mom we weren't going to eat red meat anymore. This coming from a meat and potatoes type of guy was quite surprising to say the least. At that time my mom switched from white rice to brown as she feared we would need an extra nutrient boost. That change didn't make me to happy...brown rice was not at the top of my favorites list. So one day we jazzed it up a bit. Hope you like what we came up with. My family does. (Note: We eat this as a main dish, not a side that is why the serving size is more then a 1/2 cup)
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Yummmm...Very satisfying, flexible recipe. You could all all kinds of veggies to this. I would use a little less seeds next time, but loved the texture and flavor they added. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, chopped (more if desired)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups lightly salted shelled sunflower seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook brown rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Chop, onion, celery, carrot and mince garlic.
- Place olive oil in a large skillet and heat over medium-high. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery and stir to combine. Continue to stir until vegetables are tender and aromatic; about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked brown rice to the skillet and stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Continue to heat until rice is hot.
- Add the grated cheese and sunflower seeds and stir until cheese is melted and everything is well mixed.