Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This South African original is similar to meatloaf. A slightly sweet curry flavors ground beef with a milk and egg custard on top. Recipe is from All Recipes.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup milk
- 2 slices texas toast thick-sliced bread
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon hot chutney
- 1⁄2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C); lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onions in the hot oil until soft.
- Break the ground beef into the skillet and cook until brown.
- Place the milk in a shallow dish; soak the bread in the milk.
- Squeeze the excess milk from the bread; set the milk aside.
- Add the bread to the beef mixture.
- Stir in the raisins, apricot jam, chutney, curry powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven 1 hour.
- While the bobotie bakes, whisk together the reserved milk, egg, and a pinch of salt.
- Pour over top of the dish.
- Lay the bay leaf onto the top of the milk mixture.
- Return the bobotie to the oven until the top is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.