Berry-Rhubarb Summer Pudding
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- For creme fraiche: In a bowl, whisk together sour cream and whipping cream until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let stand at room temperature until thickened (24 to 36 hours).
- Refrigerate the creme fraiche.
- In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb and sugar.
- Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently until rhubarb begins to release juices; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer the mixture for about 3 minutes or till rhubarb softens.
- Stir in strawberries; cook, covered, for about 2 minutes more till berries are softened.
- Stir in blackberries; cook about 5 minutes more or till the berries fall apart.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Transfer fruit mixture to a non-metal bowl; cool.
- Stir in lemon juice and salt.
- Remove the crust from the brioche; reserve the crust for another use.
- Cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In six to eight 6-ounce custard cups, spoon fruit mixture to make a 1/2-inch deep layer.
- Sprinkle enough brioche cubes over fruit to form a solid layer; gently press into fruit mixture to make a more solid layer.
- Spoon in enough fruit to completely cover the bread cubes; sprinkle with and press in bread cubes.
- Repeat the layers to fill the cups slightly above the rims, ending with fruit mixture.
- Place cups on a baking sheet.
- Cover with waxed paper.
- Refrigerate the pudding overnight.
- Serve dessert with some creme fraiche.
- Garnish with fresh berries.