Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe I just threw together when I was cleaning out my freezer, and noticed that I had "allot" of frozen fruit in there. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and I hope you will enjoy it just as much as I did. Thanks!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 16 ounces frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc.)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Pie Crust: In a small bowl, stir together the ice water and vinegar, set aside In a medium sized bowl stir together the flour, salt and sugar.
- With a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture.
- Stir in just enough of the water and vinegar mixture to bring the dough together, do not over work the dough!
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- Stir in the almond extract (if using) only after the filling is cool Berry Filling: In a medium sauce, stir together all the ingredients, except the almond extract.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and set aside to cool completely Pie Assembly: Preheat oven to 350°F Cut the pie dough in half and set one half aside.
- Roll out one half into a round 1/4 inch disk and fit it into a 9" pie pan.
- Pour the cooled berry filling into the pie pan.
- Roll out the second half of the pie dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut it into 10, 3/4 inch strips.
- Lay the strips in a lattice pattern over the berry filling.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the filling is bubbling and the crust is a light golden color.