I made this up based on a doggie biscuit recipe. It makes lots and lots of cookies but they freeze well so keep some in your freezer! Yield is a guess because I forgot to count them before.
- Baby food note: I used Organix's Apple, Strawberry& blueberry compote; it's apple puree, water, blueberry puree, strawberry puree and ground rice.
- You can change this to make different flavoured cookies- just avoid any baby food that contains leeks, onions, chives, spices, garlic or lemon juice as these ingredients are not good for hamsters.
- Measure out dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk together.
- Add in the baby food and about half a jar of water- If you're mixing by hand, rub and press down the mixture with the back of your spoon while mixing.
- Add egg white and mix to combine.
- This makes a very thick and solid dough mixture but it will still be sticky.
- Roll the mixture into tiny little balls about half an inch or so wide and flatten them slightly.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 175C (non fan oven) or somewhere inbetween 175 and 150C for a fan oven.
- These don't take long to bake because they're so small- only bake them until they go a light brown around the outer edges.
- This took about 8 minutes in my oven (fan oven) to give you an idea of the length of time.
- Cool then store in an airtight container or in the freezer in a freezer-appropriate container.
Where do I start? I ended up making CORNY COOKIES as I couldn't find anything with berries on the shelves. Next, the bottle contained 128ml of baby food so I had to up everything else 25%. Spooned out 127 little cookies, watched anxiously while they baked about 8 - 10 mins in my fan oven, brought two cookies into the air-conditioned room to hasten cooling and was finally able to give it to Grease and Bruce. Yes, I was THAT anxious to give my little darlings a home-made treat! You should see the look on their faces! All their attention was on that little cookie they had in their little paws. The last I looked (4 mins after I gave them the cookies), they are still chomping on it! This is one hamster momma who is as happy as her little ones! Thanks so much for posting this! I'm gonna give some to my mum's rabbit to see whether he'll eat it. Will post the results!
The kids had a blast making these and the hamsters loved them!! Couldn't find a berry baby food without yogurt or other added ingredients so I went with a plum, pear, apple mix. I might have made them too big as I only got 53 treats but the hamsters don't seem to mind. :) Thanks for sharing this fun recipe Heather!