Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
An interesting combination of flavors. I found this while searching for recipes for the recipe swap.
- 1 lemon
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 158.51 ml water
- 295.73 ml orange juice
- 14.79 ml green peppercorn, coarsely crushed
- 453.59 g strawberry
- fresh mint leaves (optional)
- half-and-half (optional)
- Finely grate peel from lemon and put into a saucepan. Squeeze juice from lemon and reserve. Add sugar and water to lemon peel and heat gently, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil and boil until syrup turns a light caramel color. Remove from heat and hold pan handle with a cloth as mixture will splatter. Stir in lemon and orange juices. Heat gently, stirring to dissolve caramel.
- Stir in peppercorns and boil 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened and syrupy. Allow to cool 2 minutes, then spoon hot syrup over strawberries. Garnish with mint, if desired, and serve at once with half-and-half, if desired.
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #65* I cut back on the sugar, which apparently affected the carmelization -- never got very syrupy. I had sliced the berries a few days ago, so they were nice and juicy. Served afrer dinner with 1/2 & 1/2, and was pleasntly surprised to taste the peppercorns ! DH said to save the recipe and he will try it again with the next batch of strawberries. He put some on his cereal this morning, as well ! Thanks for posting, Elmotoo !!
Wow, you've got a winner here! The sauce took about 15 minutes to cook down. I halved the recipe easily. I forgot to put the mint in the photo, sorry! Loved the bite of the peppercorns!