Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my moms recipe for the mayo based version that you will find all over northern Germany, while southern Germany prefers the vinegar based/hot version. Make sure to let the salad rest for at least 2 hours so that all the flavors can blend and soak into the potatoes.
- Make sure onion, pickles and apple are chopped the same size.
- Boil the whole potatoes with their skins on until tender about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from pot and let rest until cool enough to handle but still warm, then peel and dice into preferred size.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients except potatoes.
- Put potatoes into a big bowl, pour"sauce" over them and stir together carefully (potatoes break apart easily while still warm).
- Cover bowl and let rest in fridge for at least 2 hours (overnight is even better).
- Taste test and add more pickle juice, salt, pepper, sugar or mayo if/as needed.
Love it! Perfect side for BBQ's! :)
I am also a Berliner Goere and made this potato salad.It is wonderful. I like the taste with the apples and the pickles.I added two hard boiled eggs,chopped and two Tablespoons of white wine vinegar. Oct.16,2005
While this won't replace my regular potato salad I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It has a nice flavor and the chopped apple was intriguing. I have it bookmarked to try again the next time I prepare German food. Thank you for sharing your family recipe!