1 hr 30 mins
Chef Hamturo's Note:
This recipe was from Bon Apetit Magazine years ago featuring the famous chocolate cake served in New York's Benson's Steak House. It is a substantial cake made in a bundt pan and is deep with chocolate flavour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons cake flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup finely ground walnuts or 4 ounces walnuts
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1Chop your chocolate in small pieces ( be careful of your fingers ).
- 2For Cake:.
- 3Preheat oven to 350°F Generously brush a 12 cup bundt pan with melted butter. Dust the pan with flour. Melt chocolate on top of a double boiler over simmering water, and cool down.
- 4Use electric mixer, cream butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- 5Add egg yolks 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 6Sift flour and cocoa into small bowl, blend into butter mixture.
- 7Add melted chocolate and nuts and mix well.
- 8Using your electric mixer again, fitted with clean dry beaters, beat egg whites with cream of tartar in medium bowl until stiff but not dry.
- 9Fold 1/4 of whites into the batter to lighten.
- 10Gently fold in remaining whites.
- 11Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until top of cake forms crust but centre remains moist, about 50 minutes ( cake will not rise to top of pan ).
- 12Transfer pan to rack. Immediately run a small sharp knife around cake pan sides and centre hold to loosen.
- 13Cool 15 minutes ( cake will fall).
- 14Turn cake out onto plate; cool. ( Can be prepared 1 day ahead.).
- 15Cover and let stand at room temperature.
- 17Pour glaze over top of cake allowing the glaze to run down sides.
- 18Let stand 2 hours @ room temp -- and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bensons Deep Dark Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 583.7
- Calories from Fat 420
- Total Fat 46.7 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 210.7 mg
- Sodium 63.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 31.0 g
- Protein 9.8 g