Recipe by Chef Hamturo
This classic dessert was made from scratch and served proudly in the restaurant in New York known as Benson's Steak House. I got it out of a Bon Apetite magazine many years ago.
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons cake flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup ground walnuts, chopped fine
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ounce port wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop your chocolate in small pieces ( be careful of your fingers ).
- For Cake:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Generously brush a 12 cup bundt pan with melted butter. Dust the pan with flour. Melt chocolate on top of a double boiler over simmering water, and cool down.
- cream butter in large bowl until smooth. Add half the sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift cake flour and cocoa into small bowl, blend into butter mixture.
- Add melted chocolate and nuts and mix well.
- Egg whites.
- beat egg whites with cream of tartar in medium bowl until soft peak, and then beat some more adding sugar to a stiff peak.
- Fold 1/4 of whites into the batter to lighten.
- Gently cut,fold, turn to make a light airy batter.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until top of cake forms crust but centre remains moist, about 50 minutes
- ( cake will not rise to top of pan ).
- Transfer pan to rack. Immediately run a small sharp knife around cake pan sides and centre hold to loosen.
- Cool 15 minutes ( cake will fall).
- Turn cake out onto plate; cool. ( Can be prepared 1 day ahead.).
- Cover and let stand at room temperature.
- melt chocolate add in port wine if you have then add cream and honey.
- Pour glaze over top of cake allowing the glaze to run down sides.
- Let stand 2 hours @ room temp -- and serve.