Recipe by Spectatrix
This recipe is a family stuffed bell pepper recipe that my step-brother and I modified while sharing an apartment in college. As poor college students, it appealed to our sense of frugality. As lazy college students, our modification was appealing because it's easier and faster than stuffing bell peppers and sticking them in the oven!
Bell Pepper Mixture
- 1 -2 bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 18 ounces ketchup
- 8 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons louisiana hot sauce (I use Crystal brand)
- 4 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 ounces water
- 3 cups hot cooked white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Heat over medium heat until smooth, stirring as necessary. Cover when not stirring to avoid splashes.
- While sauce is heating, combine onion and bell pepper in a skillet, heating over medium heat to desired tenderness.
- Also while sauce is heating, brown ground beef in another skillet. Drain grease when meat is cooked through.
- When everything is done, serve meat and vegetables with sauce over rice.