Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I bought a recipe book by a local women's group on my recent trip to Belize (Silly Bug & Bittle Recipes) and this one sounds like something I would like. I've tried a few rice pudding recipes before, but never had it baked. The recipe says you can serve it warm or after cooling. I have no idea how much this makes or how long you should bake it, but I'll update the recipe as soon as I make it or you leave me a review to give me the information.
- Cook rice in plain water until rice is very soft (do not add oil or salt to water when cooking).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain hot rice and place in bowl. While stirring, add all other ingredients. Continue stirring until butter is melted and all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour into pan that you have greased or sprayed with cooking spray. Rice mixture should be around 2 inches deep in the pan.
- Bake approximately 60 minutes, or until firm and knife inserted in center comes out clean. (NOTE: the recipe did not include cooking time. I based this time on reviews by people who tried it).
We loved this! This is more like a custard. I soaked the raisins in hot water then drained them before adding them to plump and soften them. I recommend stirring about half way through cooking because the rice and raisins sink to the bottom. I baked it at 350 for about 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
It took about 60 minutes in the oven @ 350. My can of sweetened condensed milk was 14 oz so instead of adding the half cup of milk and half of the can, I just used the entire can and no sugar. It was plenty sweet.