Recipe by Sharon123
I saw this being made on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives and then heard the raves from the customers and had to get the recipe. You gotta give this a try, you won't be dissapointed. :D If you can't find the Maggi seasoning, use sugar(it's the main ingredient of the seasoning). I haven't tried using the sugar, so use your own judgement on this. You can scale this down to feed less if you like. Recipe courtesy Chuck Caplener and Jared Nuttall, co-owners of Gatsby's Diner, Sacramento, CA.
- 4730.0 ml water
- 118.29 ml sea salt, plus a pinch
- 14.79 ml dried dill
- 8-10 sprig fresh thyme
- 4-6 bay leaves
- 6 dried arbol chiles
- 59.14 ml coriander seed
- 14.79 ml caraway seed
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 59.16 ml seasoning, sauce (recommended Maggi)
- 6-8 whole beets (depending on size)
- olive oil
- sliced red onion, for serving
- 16-18 slider buns, toasted (at the restaurant they use potato rolls)
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1 bunch fresh tarragon, stemmed, finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, stemmed, finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 118.29 ml white wine vinegar
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 473.18 ml mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot, combine and the water, 1/2 cup sea salt, dill, thyme, bay leaves, chiles, coriander, caraway, carrots, celery, onions, seasoning sauce, and beets and bring to a boil. Boil on medium heat for about 1 hour.
- Remove the beets and let cool, discarding the liquid. Once cooled, remove the skin from the beets with a vegetable peeler. (Remember to wear gloves, as the beets will stain your hands as well as other surfaces.) Cut the beets into 1/4 to 1/2-inch slices. Place the beet slices, a drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt into a skillet over high heat and saute until glossy and tender, about 2 1/2 minutes on each side(or cook on a grill).
- Remove the beets from the skillet and serve with shaved red onion and Green Goddess Dressing on a toasted slider bun.
- To make Green Goddess Dressing:.
- Combine the herbs, green onions, buttermilk, lemon juice, and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Let macerate for 10 minutes. Add the sour cream and mayonnaise, and blend with an immersion blender until creamy. Season with salt and pepper.