Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
From Semi-Homemade Cooking 2 by Sandra Lee Every meal is a happy hour with this hit-the-spot dish that goes down as easy as a bottle of your favorite brew. A tantalizing blend of cool, refreshing beer and hot, smoky barbeque sauce, it is the meal to make when you want something simple yet sensational. Spoon extra sauce over each serving to intensify the flavor.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 4 lbs chicken breasts, and thighs rinsed and patted dry
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 cup dark beer or 1 cup ale
- 1 1⁄2 cups barbecue sauce
- In a large skillet, heat: oil over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, brown chicken on both sides.
- Place browned chicken in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker.
- Add onions to slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine dark beer and barbecue sauce. Pour mixture over chicken and onions in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours.
Incredibly simple to make and good to eat! Super tasty!
I used chicken legs and ended up shredding them and combining them with the sauce, which worked out really well. While I plan on repeating the recipe the same way if you do not plan on shreeding your chicken I would suggest using skinless chicken breasts.
Loved this too... I used a bag of frozen chicken breasts. I took them out to defrost in the fridge the day before. This was really, really, tasty. I used a dark mexican ale and served this with steamed brown rice and Semi-Homemade Borracho Beans. DH loved it as well. Thanks !