1/4 Photos of Beer Battered Onion Rings
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
King Jay II's Note:
I made these once in college, 20 years later I found the recipe, its much better today.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 large sweet onions or 2 -3 large red onions or 2 -3 large white onions, cut crosswise into thick slices
- 16 ounces beer
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 1Combine the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Black Pepper, and Red Pepper in a bowl. Add the Beer and Vanilla and stir to make batter. Once mixed cover and let stand 30 to 50 minutes.
- 2Next separate the Egg Whites into a bowl. Using an electric mixer beat the Egg Whites until soft peaks form. Fold Egg Whites into the batter.
- 3Place the Bread Crumbs into a separate dish. Dip the Onion slices in the batter, then dredge through the Bread Crumbs and place in a single layer, on wax paper lined cookie sheet. Use wax paper to separate the layers. As soon as possible put the cookie sheet in the freezer. Freeze rings for at least 1 hour. After 1 hour place rings in an air tight container for longer storage time; they can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 4Remove rings and fry in 375 degree soy or peanut oil for appox. 2 minutes. For more even frying flip the rings. Fry in small batches, being careful not to crowd the pan.
- 5*For a slightly spicy taste double the Red Pepper.
- 6**For spicy taste that will stand up to the Ranch or other dairy based dips, double the Red Pepper and add 1/8 cup Sriracha sauce to the batter.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Battered Onion Rings
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 601.9
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1276.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 20.7 g