Prep 35 mins
Cook 32 mins
From Southern Living Cooking School.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (26 ounce) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (13 7/8 ounce) canrefrigerated prepared pizza crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the first 3 ingredients and 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning, stirring until the beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well and return to skillet.
- Add flour to mixture in skillet; stir until blended.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce; bring mixture to a boil over med-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- Unroll pizza crust and place on top of cheese (tuck edges into baking dish, if necessary).
- Brush with olive oil, and sprinkle evenly with remaining mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Bake in a 425° oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
I made this last night, from a page my mom copied for me out of Southern Living, and I thought I'd try to find it on here so I could review it. It was delicious, and it's simple to make. The recipe states that it takes 25 minutes for prep, 12 mins to cook, and then 20 minutes to bake, and I would say that's about right. The great part is that you can get the kitchen cleaned up while it's baking! It only took 15 minutes for it to be golden brown on top in my oven. Instead of using the olive oil, I just used spray canola oil, which worked great. DF and I both loved it, so I definitely plan on making it again.