Recipe by Jane Gib
A casserole which can be frozen or cooked ahead of time. Saves you cooking when guests arrive, cook earlier and just heat up
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 onions, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 pint water
- 1⁄2 pint red wine
- 12 black olives, stoned and halved
- parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the beef, plenty of salt and pepper, the garlic and the flour.
- set aside.
- fry the onions, carrots and bay leaf for 10 minute.
- Add the beef and cook until browned.
- Stir in tomato paste, water and wine.
- Bring to the boil.
- reduce heat to lowest setting and cover tightly. simmer gently for about 3 hours, or until beef is tender.
- (You can also cook in the oven instead of simmering).
- cool and chill for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Reheat to boiling point and add the olives.
- Garnish with the parsley.