Recipe by papergoddess
I just sort of came up with this recipe. We liked it so well I decided to post it. Use a good rich beef stock like Wolfgang Puck or Emerill's rather than College Inn. If you don't have beef stock, use beef soup base rather than bouillon cubes.
- 1 lb beef round steak, cut in small dice
- 1 leek, diced (make sure you wash it well, they can be very gritty)
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, diced or 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 turnip, diced (You can also use rutabega or some diced cabbage) (optional)
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- 6 cups strong beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 lb beef tortellini or 1 lb cheese tortellini
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef well in a deep dutch oven or stock pot.
- Add leek, celery, and onion and saute on low until veges are soft.
- Add broth and all other ingredients. Simmer on low for 2-3 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add tortellini. Simmer for 5 minutes, then turn off heat and let stand, covered, for at least 30-45 minutes. Tortellini will cook in the hot broth.
- Serve with crusty bread.