Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of our favorites. You can also use canned mushrooms.
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 20 ounces sirloin steaks, cubed
- 1⁄2-1 cup flour
- 14 ounces beef stock or 14 ounces beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Put enough flour to dredge the meat cubes into a plastic ziplock.
- Season with salt and pepperand adding a few cubes at a time, shake to coat.
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add meat in batches and brown.
- Remove meat and add mushrooms.
- Adding more butter or oil if needed, saute a minute or two, then add onions.
- Saute until onions are transparent.
- Remove from pan.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons leftover flour and make a medium brown roux.
- (This step is optional, but we like it this way.).
- Add meat, mushrooms and onion back to the pan.
- Add beef broth, worcestershire sauce, pepper and 1/2 of the sour cream.
- Taste for salt and add if needed.
- Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- The sour cream may separate but this is normal.
- Just before serving, add the last half of the sour cream.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
- OPTIONS: Substitute red or white wine for some of the broth.
- Leave out the worcestershire sauce and add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried dill.
This was pretty good. I'll probably make it again. It was just a little bit on the bland side for me. Next time I'll probably add some additional spices or something for a little more flavor. Thanks for sharing!