Top Review by Nasseh
My husband & I didn't really care for this recipe. I made as directed except I added potatoes to it while it was cooking. I used Recipe #200366 for the spice mix in this recipe. Made for ZWT 4
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup spice butter (niter kebbeh)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons berbere (spice paste)
- 2⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 lbs boneless lean beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stewpot, cook the onions over moderate heat for about 5 minutes, or until they are soft and dry.
- Do not let brown or burn.
- Stir in the niter kebbeh.
- When it heats up, add the garlic, ginger, fenugreek, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg.
- Stir well.
- Add the paprika and berbere, and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the wine, water, tomato sauce, and salt, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the beef and turn the pieces around in the sauce to coat.
- Cover the pot and simmer the beef for about 1 hour over low heat.
- Season with black pepper.