Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup spice butter (niter kebbeh)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons berbere (spice paste)
- 2⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 lbs boneless lean beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- black pepper
- In a large stewpot, cook the onions over moderate heat for about 5 minutes, or until they are soft and dry.
- Do not let brown or burn.
- Stir in the niter kebbeh.
- When it heats up, add the garlic, ginger, fenugreek, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg.
- Stir well.
- Add the paprika and berbere, and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the wine, water, tomato sauce, and salt, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the beef and turn the pieces around in the sauce to coat.
- Cover the pot and simmer the beef for about 1 hour over low heat.
- Season with black pepper.
My husband & I didn't really care for this recipe. I made as directed except I added potatoes to it while it was cooking. I used Recipe #200366 for the spice mix in this recipe. Made for ZWT 4
This had an absolutely wonderful smell while cooking. It was a lot of work in that I did not have any of the "specialty" items needed prepared ahead of time but now know that this would be something to keep on hand at all times when cooking this type of African food! It was delicious for sure and I am only giving this 4 stars because of the extra work involved for the spice mix and the spiced butter. But I"m so glad I made this while travelling through Africa with my Babes on the ZWT4.