1/1 Photo of Beef Stew With Roasted Root Vegetables
2 hrs 40 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
It doesn't get any better than this! I have been cooking since I was a kid and always made stew "just like mom" until I found this recipe. Inspired by: Inspired by Food Network Although this recipe originally calls for pot roast, I prefer large chunks of stew meat. I also toss several mushrooms into the gravy while baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, large chunks or 3 lbs pot roast
- kosher salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons canola oil or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 1 large onion, peel and sliced thick in rounds
- 5 garlic cloves, peel and smashed
- 1 (15 ounce) can plain diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, good enough to drink
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°.
- 2Heat a large Dutch oven, with a lid, over medium-high heat.
- 3In a large bowl or ziplock bag, Add the meat: generously sprinkle with salt and pepper, and lightly coat with the flour.
- 4Add the oil to the pot, lay the meat in the pan and sear on all sides until a deep mahogany brown, about 10 minutes.
- 5Transfer the meat to a plate. Pour all but about 2 tablespoons of the oil from the pan, add more oil if necessary.
- 6Add the onion and garlic to the pan, and cook until fragrant and soft, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add the diced tomatoes w/ liquid to the pot, and cook until a deep brick red, about 2 minutes more.
- 8Add the wine, and with a wooden spoon scrape up any browned bits that cling to the bottom of the pot.
- 9Add the beef broth, thyme, and bay leaves, and bring to a boil.
- 10Return stew meat to the pot, nestle it in the liquid, cover and transfer pot to the oven.
- 11Cook until the meat is just tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 12Meanwhile, In a large bowl or zip lock bag: toss the onions, carrots, parsnips, and potatoes with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- 13Spread out on a oil sprayed baking sheet in 1 layer. You may have to use 2 baking sheets.
- 14NOTE: Add more root veggies as you like. cut to similar size.
- 15The veggies can be roasted in a 350° oven for about 45 -60 minutes while stew/roast is cooking.
- 16Once the meat comes out of the oven, raise the temperature to 450 degrees F.
- 17Roast the vegetables, turning about halfway through cooking, until caramelized and tender, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- 18While roasting the root veggies, Keep the stew meat warm in the sauce on the stove top until ready to serve. Place the veggies in the pot before serving. Stir gently to combine.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stew With Roasted Root Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (759 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.2
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 145.1 mg
- Sodium 827.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 55.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: