Recipe by Barb G.
This is a delicious Mexican Stew. We really enjoy it. The recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens Mexican Cookbook.
Top Review by SmartCookie
I made this recipe for a family gathering close to New Years. Everyone raved about it! My family liked a bit more heat to a dish, so I added a bit of cumin and a serrano pepper. I browned my floured and browned my beef cubes in a bit of oil, and pressure cooked them for tenderness. After the meat was done, I continued the recipe as called for. This is a recipe I will make again, I'm sure. This made a lot, so I froze a container. We had the leftovers last night, and it was as good as the night I served it originally.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sniped parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 dried ancho chiles
- 2 dried pasilla peppers (or substitute 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper for the dried ancho and pasilla chilies, I've always use)
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 medium zucchini, cut up
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 ears fresh corn, cut in 1 inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil.
- Return all meat to dutch oven.
- Add the 3 cups of water, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Cover; simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Cut ancho and pasilla chilies open; discard stems and seeds.
- Cut chilies into small pieced with scissors or a knife.
- Place chilies in bowl; cover with boiling water and let stand 45 to 60 minutes,drain.
- In a blender container place undrained tomatoes, the drained chilies or crushed red pepper, onion, and the 1/2 cup water, sesame seed, garlic ,bouillon and cumin.
- Blend till nearly smooth.
- Add to beef mixture along with zucchini, potatoes, and corn.
- Cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or till meat is tender and vegetables are done.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Makes 8 to 10 servings.