Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 3⁄4 lb beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, cut into eighths
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup beef broth, combined with 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb egg noodles, cooked
- In a small bowl toss the beef well with the lemon juice, add the flour, and toss the beef until it is coated with the flour.
- In a heavy skillet heat the butter over moderately high heat until the foam subsides and in it brown the beef.
- Transfer the beef with a slotted spoon to a bowl and in the fat remaining in the skillet, cook the onion and the mushrooms over moderate heat, stirring, until they are just tender.
- Add the wine, simmer the mixture for 1 minute, and stir in the broth, the paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer the mixture, stirring for 3 minutes, stir in the beef and the juices that have accumulated in the bowl, and cook the stew until the beef is heated through.
- Serve the stew over cooked egg noodles.