Argentine Beef Stew
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs beef, cut into bite size cubes (I use sirloin tip)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup dried apricot, chopped coarsely if whole and large
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 large pumpkin
- butter or margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 lb whole kernel corn, drained and defrosted if necessary
- In olive oil, brown the beef with the onion and garlic.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the corn, sherry and pumpkin.
- Simmer for 1 hour, covered.
- Cut the top off the pumpkin and discard.
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy membrane, and discard them as well.
- You could toast the pumpkin seeds in the oven for a snack if you like, but they are not used in this recipe.
- Brush the inside of the pumpkin with butter and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the stew, sherry and corn.
- Bake the stew-containing pumpkin at 325° F for about an hour, or until the pumpkin is tender.
- When serving, scoop out some pumpkin along with the stew.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!