Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe handed down from my mother's mother, to my mother, then to me. Low maintenance and very tasty!!
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, cleaned of fat, grizzle, and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 lbs tiny new potatoes, cleaned and left whole
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and chopped into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 bunch celery heart, cleaned and chopped into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 10 ounces frozen green peas
- Emeril's Original Essence
- olive oil
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄4 ounces onion soup mix
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato juice
- 6 ounces water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons horseradish (not sauce)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- For the meat:
- Sprinkle the cut meat with flour, to cover.
- Add amount of Emeril’s of your choice. (I go heavy).
- Heat a large heavy pan over medium high heat, and brown the meat (in batches if necessary) until all the meat is browned all over.
- When all the meat is browned, transfer to a large baking dish. (One large enough to accommodate easily and can stir in).
- In the same skillet the meat was browned in, add soup, soup mix, tomato juice, water, worcestershire sauce, horseradish and garlic.
- Simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Place potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, into the same baking dish with the meat.
- Add the soup mixture and mix well.
- Bake covered at 350° for 1 ½ – 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes and until meat is tender and the vegetables are done, adding the peas at about the last 15 minutes of cooking time.