Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Wow there are a lot of great spanish rice recipes on Zaar but none just like our family favorite. The original recipe came from a hamburger cookbook from sometime in the 70's. The cookbook bit the dust years ago but not this recipe. It's a good basic recipe that lots of things could be added to for personnel preferences. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup converted rice
- 2 cups water
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced canned tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 chopped onion (optional)
- sliced black olives (optional)
- brown hamburger and drain.
- Add all other ingredients to the beef and bring to a boil then lower heat to low and cover.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves and enjoy.
- I usually cook the green pepper with the beef when browning beef and if using onions would also cook with the browning beef.