1/5 Photos of Beef Short Ribs With Mushrooms
3 hrs 30 mins
3 hrs 20 mins
Real Simple Magazine October 2004
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 1/2 lbs meaty beef short ribs, cut flanken style
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups good-quality beef stock
- 1 lb button mushroom, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Combine the flour, slat, and pepper and dredge the short ribs. Heat half the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, then sear the beef on all sides until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the beef and set aside.
- 3Add the onion and garlic and cook until brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
- 4Add the stock, scraping up any bits stuck to the pan. Return the beef to the pot. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and transfer to the oven. Cook until the beef is fork-tender, 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- 5In the last 15 minutes of cooking, heat the remaining oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the mushroons and cook until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Toss with the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- 6Remove the ribs to serving dishes, place the pot over high heat, and reduce the cooking liquid until slightly thickened. Serve with the mushrooms and cooking liquid.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Short Ribs With Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (695 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1740.7
- Calories from Fat 1422
- Total Fat 158.0 g
- Saturated Fat 64.6 g
- Cholesterol 301.6 mg
- Sodium 1085.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 63.4 g