Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Another dish we ate growing up. This is one of my favorites!We always ate it over cooked rice and I actually like to DOUBLE the recipe to have PLENTY of gravy.
- 1 round steak, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- garlic salt
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup water
- 2 (10 1/4 ounce) cans beef gravy
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 green onions
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Coat the strips of meat.
- Fry in a pan, using shortening or oil until brown.
- Add the chicken bullion cube dissolved in the 1 cup water.
- Add the 2 cans beef gravy and the 3/4 cup red wine.
- Simmer for 1- 1 1/2 hours.
- Garnish with chopped green onion.
- Best when served over cooked rice!
This was good. I simmered it for about 3 hours, 1 of those being covered and the meat was very tender. The gravy tasted good but as LaLa Lola said, it was not as smooth as we like it. I served this over thick chewy cooked (frozen) noodles and I think that was a mistake, next time I make this I will serve it over rice as suggested. I added a little worce. sauce ( no idea how to spell that lol) and some baby bella muchrooms.
We enjoyed this very much. It was tender and tasty. Next time, I may eliminate coating the meat with flour and use cornstarch instead. The texture of the gravy was not as smooth as we prefer. Nonetheless, it's a keeper!
MMmmmm, gravy! :) We love this! The meat comes out fork tender and its just a wonderful tasting combo! I used a couple extra green onions for the entire batch and it reheats well too! Thanks Marlene!