Famous dish from East Asia.
Make and share this Beef Rendang recipe from Food.com.
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 inch cubs fresh ginger, grated
- 2 red chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 2 star anise
- 2 lbs beef, cubed
- Put all of the ingredients, EXCEPT FOR THE BEEF, into a blender and whizz for 1 minute to make the sauce.
- Put the sauce in a pan and bring to the boil, add the meat, lower heat and simmer till meat is tender.
Made this for Unrated Asian Recipes Tag Game. It smelled incredible while cooking, and according to the comments it got during dinner, I should rate this with ten stars! First I wanted to try a recipe with ready made curry paste, but am I glad I chose this recipe instead! A definite keeper. I followed the recipe to the letter, and that's absolutely perfect. Sorry for the poor photo, the battery of my camera died before I could take a proper picture, so I used a friend's cell phone to photograph the leftovers after dinner... Seems like the phone was overwhelmed by the fantastic smell - it fainted after the first attempt, too! Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe, Brian!