From Gourmet magazine, February 1990. Reminiscent of Scottish/English steak pies. Sometimes I add sliced carrots.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups cooked rare roast beef, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 pounds)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 lb boiling potato, cooked and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4)
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled horseradish
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted or 2 tablespoons roast beef drippings, heated
For the Yorkshire pudding batter
- 1In a large bowl combine the roast beef, the peas, and the potatoes.
- 2In a skillet cook the onion in the 1 tablespoon butter over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until it is softened.
- 3Add the garlic, and cook the mixture for 3 minutes.
- 4Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, and cream and cook, stirring until thickened.
- 5Add the sauce to the roast beef mixture, season with salt and pepper, and combine well.
- 6Divide the mixture among the six 1 1/2 cup gratin dishes.
- 7Pour the melted butter around the edges of the gratin dishes and heat the potpies in the middle of a preheated 450°F, oven for 2 minutes.
- 8Pour 1/3 cup of the Yorkshire pudding batter around the edge of each gratin dish and bake the potpies for 15 minutes (do not open the oven door).
- 9Reduce the heat to 400°F and bake the potpies for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until the pudding is puffed and browned.
- 10Make the Yorkshire pudding batter.
- 11In a blender blend the eggs, salt, flour, and milk for 30 seconds and chill, covered, for 30 minutes.
- 12In a small bowl beat the egg white until it forms soft peaks and fold it into the mixture.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Pot Pies With Yorkshire Pudding Crusts
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.4
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 105.0 mg
- Sodium 339.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: