Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Get out the Sesame Yogurt Sauce Sesame Yogurt Sauce to serve with this. Recipe by Hilda & Ray Marangosian from California.
- 2 lbs beef sirloin steaks
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 roma tomatoes
- 6 pita pocket bread, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, fresh chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced thin
- Slice beef into 1/8-inch-thick strips.
- In a bowl, mix beef, lemon juice, allspice and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Set aside.
- Core tomatoes and cut in half lengthwise.
- With skin side up broil about4 inches from heat until browned, 6 minutes.
- Set oven temperature to 200 degrees.
- Stack pocket bread in center of foil and wrap.
- Place in oven with tomatoes until ready to serve, 5- 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet add meat mixture and cook until no longer pink.
- Transfer beef only to a bowl.
- Boil juices until reduced to 1/4 cup, pour over meat.
- Add salt to taste.
- To make your beef pockets take one half of a pocket add some beef, onions, tomatoes, parsley and cucumbers.
- Top with some Sesame Yogurt Sauce.
outstanding. I used tender venison, and it was wonderful. The allspice really lifts it from a regular sandwich meat. Also did use the sesame yogurt sauce, yumm
Very flavorful sandwiches! I loved the bright flavor of the broiled tomatoes with the deeper flavor of the beef. Next time, I think I will try cooking the beef differently, maybe doing it on the grill or not slicing it before cooking. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT3