Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
My mom gave me this "Focus on Africa" cookbook for my birthday this year, and this is from that.
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 14 -18 hamburger buns, split
- 2 -4 lbs roast (trim fat)
- Combine celery, onion, ketchup, bbq sauce, water, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, pepper, and garlic powder and mix well.
- Pour into slow cooker.
- Add roast, cover and cook high for 6 - 7 hours.
- Remove roast and shred meat. Return meat to sauce and serve over buns with a slotted spoon.
This is just the way my cousin from Calgary makes it. I don't have a slow cooker so I cooked it in a cast iron casserole. It dried out a bit so when I shredded the beef I added the same amount of sauce again and left it at 130c for am hour. It was perfect
SO so so so sooooooo good! I used a deer roast and it turned out excellent. We were eating "venison" on a bun for 5 days. I thought the amount of sauce was perfect. After it sat in the fridge for a day, the sauce soaked into the meat. Thanks for the awesome recipe.
This was great! I think I would cut the sauce in half though, as there was way too much for me. Thanks for the recipe!