Recipe by Tonkcats
Tasty comfort food
Top Review by Domestic Goddess
This was good, but my husband said he much prefers liver that is cooked along with some bacon. I did substitute pork liver for the beef liver. It's what we had in our freezer. To this recipe, I added 1/4 cup finely chopped onion, 3/4 cup of finely chopped green bell peppers, 1 tsp. of jarred minced garlic, and added 1/2 tsp. of Tabasco Sauce. I let this simmer, (covered) for exactly 15 minutes; stirring it a few times. I would suggest using a 2nd skillet when simmering all the ingredients, because when I fried the liver in the 1st skillet, the pan did get a bit brown. I did make this a second time, and when I added the bell peppers, I used 1/2 of one red pepper, and 1/2 of one green pepper. Thank you Toncats for posting this recipe. It was something different to bring to the dinner table.
- 1 lb beef liver, skinned and deveined
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 dash hot sauce or 1 dash pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut liver in strips, flour and fry in oil until done.
- Remove liver from frying pan.
- If oil is not burned or too brown, add celery, onion, pepper, garlic and saute (in fresh oil, if necessary).
- When done, add tomatoes, sugar, water, hot sauce and liver; bring to boil and simmer until tender.