Recipe by Berliner Goere
Fast and easy meal with a little extra zing to it.
Top Review by CMarsh6744
This recipe has turned out to be a family favorite. I pretty much use as listed in the ingredients for the recipe, but have made changes if I didn't have the right ingredients on hand. It has always turned out great. Thank you!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 teaspoons mccormick hot shot seasoning (OR 1 tsp black pepper and 1 tsp red pepper , cayenne)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 20 ounces rotel diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, with juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 14 ounces creamed corn
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Brown meat with"Hot Shot" seasoning, breaking it apart; drain.
- Add onion, garlic and chili powder; saute until onion is translucent.
- Mix in cornstarch and then add tomatoes; let simmer on low while assembling the cornbread.
- Stir together the flour, cornmeal and baking powder; in a seperate bowl whisk the eggs, milk, oil and corn then stir into flour mix until well blended.
- Stir in cheese.
- Pour meat into a 13x9 inch (3L oblong) casserole dish; spread batter evenly over meat and sprinkle with a bit more cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bread is done and golden brown.