Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
The bacon - a classic ingredient in a French-style beef stew - has been dropped from this recipe. But it doesn't trade a juicy beef chuck for tougher rounds, even though chuck is a bit fattier. Instead, a lot more vegetables, like fresh mushrooms, carrots and frozen peas stretch the meat. Recipe is from Good Housekeeping.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck (trimmed of fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks)
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed with side of chef's knife
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 (10 ounce) packages mushrooms, each mushroom cut in half
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peas
- In 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat oil on medium-high heat until hot.
- Pat beef dry with paper towels.
- Add beef, in 2 batches, and cook 5-6 minutes per batch or until well browned on all sides.
- With slotted spoon, transfer beef to medium bowl.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- To drippings in Dutch oven, add carrots, garlic, and onion and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are browned and tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour, tomato paste, 3/4 t salt and 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add wine and heat to boiling, stirring until browned bits are loosened from bottom of Dutch oven.
- Return meat and any meat juices in bowl to Dutch oven.
- Add thyme and mushrooms, heat to boiling.
- Cover and bake 1 1/2 hours or until meat is fork tender, stirring once.
- Discard thyme sprigs.
- Just before stew is done, cook peas as label directs.
- Stir in peas.
Wow! We loved this casserole, it has so much flavour. I like the fact that it didn't have bacon as it reduced the fat and let the other ingredients shine. I used dutch carrots and diced the onion and served the peas separately otherwise made to the recipe. Excellent winter fare, served with mashed potatoes, peas and recipe #169154. Thank you for the recipe!!!