Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Nice savory stew... I used a bottle of red wine we had kicking around, also also added a bit of extra beef broth early on and a bit of Bisto to thicken it a little towards the end. I liked it even better the second day!
- 3 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steaks (1-2)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 8 small red potatoes, unpeeled, quartered
- 8 -10 mushrooms, sliced
- 20 -24 white pearl onions (I couldn't fine any so I just used one large onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups Burgundy wine or 2 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- Cut beef into 1-inch pieces. Coat with flour, shaking off excess; set aside. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until partially cooked. Add beef; brown on all sides. Drain and discard fat.
- Layer carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, salt and pepper to taste and beef mixture in slow-cooker. Pour wine over all.
- Cover and look on LOW 8-9 hours or until beef is tender. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.