This is the perfect stew to make on a cold winter's day! Your house will smell amazing when this simmers on your stove!
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1⁄2 lb small whole fresh mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen pearl onions
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine thyme, salt and black pepper.
- Add beef and toss to coat.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add half of the beef and cook 10 minutes, or until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer beef to bowl.
- Repeat with remaining beef, then return the already browned beef to the pot.
- Stir in broth, wine, and garlic.
- Reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and onions.
- Cover and cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine water and flour; gradually stir into the stew.
- Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes, or until stew is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 2 more