Recipe by Happy Harry #2
When I was just learning about tofu and how to cook with it, my husband suggested making a beef and tofu combo. It turned out really tasty, and was a great way to introduce the kids to something new! AND...it was easy on the pocketbook too!
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb extra firm tofu
- 1 small green pepper, small dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth (can use vegetable broth)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- rice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, onion and green pepper. Stir-fry 30 seconds. Stir in chili powder and sugar.Mix all together another 30 seconds.
- Add beef, breaking up with a wooded spoon.
- Add tofu, broth, and soy sauce.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cornstarch and water. Stir gently into meat mixture until liquid thickens.
- This is now ready to serve. It goes nicely with steamed white or brown rice.