Recipe by Manda C
I was inspired by other beef barley soups, but didn't like the idea of the frozen vegetables taking away from the hearty flavors. This soup is extremely filling and WW friendly-only 3 pts!! (Calculated on WW site)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 28 ounces beef broth
- 12 ounces tomato sauce
- 2⁄3 cup barley, uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak 2/3 cups barley overnight. Drain water, run fresh to rinse off, drain, and let sit until ready to use.
- In a large soup pot, combine ground beef, mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Cook until beef is ALMOST done.
- Add pre-soaked barley, thyme, black pepper, and stir till combined.
- Add tomatoes, beef broth, tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Bring to a strong boil for about 30 mins, covered.
- Reduce heat to simmer, continue to cook for 30 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy!