Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From TOH - yet to try.
- 3 soup bones with meat (beef shanks or short ribs)
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- In Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine first 8 ingredients.
- Slowly bring to a boil.
- Skim foam with a slotted spoon.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 3-4 hours.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Set bones aside to cool and remove meat from bones and dice.
- Skim fat from broth surface.
- Return meat to pot and add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour or until barley and vegetables are tender.