Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
May serve with garlic-herb mashed potatoes
Top Review by LilPinkieJ
This is excellent. Very good for getting that comfort food kick. There are a few ingredients in the directions that aren't in the list. We have always left the bay leaf in the dish, even to the table. The one who gets it on their plate is the most beautiful. :)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs beef round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, sliced
- 1 (2 ounce) envelopeknorr tomato beef soup mix
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelopelipton beefy onion soup mix
- 1 cup red wine (Merlot, Cabernet, or Chianti)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven; dry the beef with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef to the pan; brown on all sides.
- Stir in the onions; cook/stir until they are softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms; cook another 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in soup mixes; stir to blend.
- Add in the wine, stirring up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan; cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, water, thyme, and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to low and simmer the stew, covered, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender, 2-3 hours.
- Taste the sauce, adding additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.