wild mushroom ragout
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
this is wonderful served over polenta
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, stemmed and sliced
- 1⁄2 lb portabella mushroom, stemmed and sliced
- 1⁄2 lb cremini mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tarragon
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- in bowl add water and porcinis, soak 30 minutes, drain, reserving liquid.
- in skillet heat 1 tbsp oil, saute onions and garlic 5 minutes.
- add remaining oil and all mushrooms, saute 5 minutes.
- add wine, reduce for 3 minutes.
- add tomato, tarragon, parsley, and 1 cup mushroom liquid, salt& pepper.
- lower heat, cover, simmer 20 minutes.
- if too dry add additional mushroom liquid.
- stir in parmesan cheese, serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I thought this was wonderful. I used some oyster mushrooms in place of the portabellos. It was excellent! I served it over fusilli with a generous scrape of parmesan. I think you could probably use any combination of mushrooms in this. Next time I'd like to try it with polenta, or pile it on some brushetta. Thanks, Chia!6Reply
This was delicious. It's a very earthy dish and great for mushroom lovers. The only things I did differently were to soak the mushrooms in very hot water (I was in a hurry and it speeds the rehydration up), and to use shallots instead of the onion. Also, when I reduced the wine, I didn't do it by how long it took but just to the point where it had nearly all evaporated. It will depend on the surface area of the pan. Very, very nice on polenta. Thank you.6Reply